Thursday, December 3, 2009

‘Tis the CHRISTMAS Season


Given that my place of work is getting into the Christmas spirit with decorating and carol singing, I wanted to look into the issue that people of different faiths have with Christmas being the prominent holiday among all of the others around this time of year.

One of my colleagues is in the work choir and, despite being able to sing Christmas carols, they have to leave out the line “war is over” in John Lennon’s popular Christmas tune “Happy Xmas (War is Over)”. Really? I am well aware that there are still wars being fought around the world and in no way do I think that we should be oblivious to that fact, but this song was written many years ago to protest the Vietnam War. It’s a Christmas song, people, and it’s from a different time. Be happy that that particular war IS over.

I definitely think that everyone should be proud of who they are and where they come from. I certainly am. I’m very proud that Canada is seen as a safe haven, and I am happy that we give those who are running from volatile lives some freedom.

The problem, though, is that so many immigrants expect to live the same way in Canada as they did in their home country, and Canada bends over backwards trying to let them. This isn’t India, Pakistan, China, or Afghanistan, to name a few. We celebrate different things here and we have a different language and different laws. If they want to come here, then accept Canadian culture (or what is left of it) and adapt. In a predominantly Muslim country, for example, I would conform to the custom of covering my head and face in public (I wouldn’t even have to wear makeup!) and I certainly wouldn’t object to not having Christmas celebrated because I know that Christmas isn’t their major holiday.

Canada is a primarily Christian country – a majority of people claim to be Christians and, therefore, celebrate CHRISTmas. Others are free to believe in and celebrate whatever they want – that’s what makes living in Canada so wonderful. But it’s a different story when people make a huge fuss about Christmas being publicized and act they’ve been insulted to the nth degree. I would like to tell those people to go back home where their religion is the major faith if they want to celebrate their holiday.

It’s ridiculous how Canadians are so accommodating to the minority when they complain that Christmas celebrations are discriminatory or whatever their problem is. This is CANADA. We celebrate Christmas – we have for years and we will continue to do so for many years to come.

Listen. People don’t have to agree with our customs, our beliefs, and our celebrations. All I ask is that they are respected, and that people respect that things are different here. Well, and I also ask that please, for all that is Holy in this world, learn our bloody language.

Love,

Bella

1 comment:

  1. I'm posting this link to an article written in the Toronto Star not only because it has to do with this topic but because it includes one of our university profs (well, I took one of his classes, but you know him).

    http://www.thestar.com/living/article/736617--it-s-christmas-so-go-ahead-and-say-it

    ReplyDelete