Tuesday, March 30, 2010

CrossFit – Their Warm-Up Is Your Workout


Anyone who knows my family knows that Brother Bella is a fitness enthusiast and, more specifically, a CrossFit disciple. He just finished 4 months of intense training that culminated in his 38th place finish at the CrossFit Games (check out his blog to hear and read about his training). That’s out of 100 people. He’s that fit. He’s also recruited Momma Bella to join him in his training, and she is now a dedicated CrossFitter and way more fit than I am. It’s a little embarrassing, but that’s a whole different topic.

Daddy Bella and I are the two members of the family that have yet to start drinking the CrossFit Kool-Aid, though not for lack of trying on Brother Bella’s part. He got me to start CrossFit at one point but, due to my shockingly short attention span, addiction to chocolate, and belief that light weights and endless amounts of cardio are the way to workout, I quit CrossFit before I had the chance to really see any results.

Well, it’s clear that my current workout and nutrition regime aren’t doing anything fantastic for my bootylicious (not in a good way) body. And, as the cruise I’m taking with girlfriends in May looms ever closer, I’m dangerously close to resembling a beached whale in my tankini (I will not be donning a bikini unless I’m out of my mind drunk, which will more than likely occur).

I asked Brother Bella to get me training sessions with him for my birthday this year, and he agreed not only to give me a month of unlimited sessions with him, but to give it to me early so that I would be at least a bit fitter on the cruise. Yeah, he’s a pretty good brother.

Turns out, Brother Bella is also a fantastic trainer, and acted nothing like the taunting, teasing brother I have grown up with (us being in our 20s does not mean that we don’t still fight like we’re 5, and though I’m being nice about him because I like him right now, our affection for each other changes with both of us on a daily basis). He’s supportive, fun to work out with, and pushes me in a way that makes me want to go past my limit to really see how far I can push myself. In the CrossFit world, you haven’t worked out hard enough if you’re not dangerously close to throwing up, and throw up I almost did after that first workout since quitting CrossFit about 6 months ago.

That first CrossFit workout in months took place at my gym around the corner. I thank the Lord that I was alone when doing it, because my lack of athleticism and lung capacity that matches a 2 year old’s was embarrassing even to myself. I clearly have a long way to go before I can compete in the CrossFit Games next year and win (which I have no doubt will happen – I will be awesome).

To start my foray into the CrossFit world, Brother Bella has agreed to train me at CrossFit Oshawa so that I can get a feel for a real, honest to God CrossFit environment, which, by the way, is terrifying.

The gym consists of back to basics equipment. There are no treadmills (we have to run outside), no StairMasters, no dumbbells (where the hell are my usual 2 pound weights?!), and no mirrors. It’s like they want you to actually work out.

My fears were dashed, however, when I met the owners and members of CrossFit Oshawa. They’re extremely supportive, incredibly knowledgeable, and always willing to help you out with your workouts. The camaraderie is unlike anything I’ve experienced at a gym before, and I can actually say that I enjoy going there to work out.

Brother Bella put me through a warm-up that resembled a usual workout for me (ok, it was probably more difficult than my usual workouts), and I was sweating and panting by the time we were done our pullups, pushups, dips, squats, rowing, and stretches. Seriously, that’s what a CrossFit warm-up consists of. I could barely hold myself up on the rings without my arms shaking uncontrollably, and I almost fell over backwards when trying to do an overhead squat with a fifteen pound plastic rod. But I feel great when I’m done, and isn’t that what’s important?

Everyone is always looking for that workout that will give them the results they’re looking for. I now honestly believe that CrossFit is the workout that will give anyone the results they want, whether they want to slim down or build muscle. It’s tough, but it’s worth it.

I’ve finally come to the point where I will not go back to my former, out of shape self. CrossFit is now my workout of choice, and my current goal is to compete in the CrossFit Games this time next year. After that, who knows?

Excuse me while I go submerge myself in ice cold water to alleviate the pain in my muscles.

Love,

Bella

1 comment:

  1. LOL you are hilarious!! I remember the day that we stopped doing Crossfit... it definetly was a good workout but you nearly killed me many a time! I enjoy my "warmup" workouts! lol.

    ReplyDelete